Sunday, March 24, 2013

36 Weeks!

DSC_6892 copyCounting the Days: Only four weeks left until the official due date!! I have conflicted feelings at this point, part of me desperately wanting to be done and another part of me equally wishing that this special time didn’t have to end. Technically, our Peanut (so dubbed by the princess)  will be ‘full term’ at 37 weeks and I can deliver anytime after that. Yea!

Baby’s size: Baby Blue is somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5 pounds and 18 or 19 inches long. He’s really going to have to stop growing or be delivered… which brings us to…

Mommy’s size: I am seriously all stretched out! Although I’m measuring an inch smaller than average, I feel absolutely HUGE. Interestingly, I have not gained any weight in the last two weeks even though my son is gaining about 1/2 a pound a week and I have not accrued any stretch marks. I’ve heard that is one of the benefits of being fair-skinned… which brings the benefit tally up to, let’s see, one. Kidding.

Movement: It is the oddest thing to watch my alien-invaded stomach roll! This fellow is quite a squirmy bugger and lately, as I feel his intense movement, I am acutely aware of how big he is getting. My ribs are actually soar from the constant kicking and jabbing they receive.

Sleep: I will leave it at this: it is 3:45 AM. I have been awake since 1:30 AM. Blogging seemed like a good idea. When I am finished I will attempt to go back to bed, where I will lay uncomfortably on one side, flip to the other side, almost fall asleep and then realize I have to pee. Repeat. DSC_6317

Clothes: I have discovered that maxi skirts are nearly as comfortable as yoga pants and infinitely cuter! I also have reconciled to the fact that nothing is going to be truly comfortable until this feeling of having swallowed an over-inflated beach ball is over. Even sweat pants. Even my floppy Wyoming sweatshirt. How sad is that!

Symptoms and Cravings: Braxton Hicks are weird. Cervical pressure is weird and uncomfortable. Hip pain is just painful. Peeing all the time is annoying. Being dizzy and cranky is getting a little old. Feeling simultaneously too full to eat and really, really hungry is confusing. Clear skin is fantastic. Sleeping is a distant memory. Bending over to pick up, well, almost anything is children’s work. I am fanatical about drinking water and eating fresh fruit. Pineapple has hit my #1 this last week, topping kiwi and strawberries. Other random cravings: popcorn, juice, frozen yogurt.

DSC_6421Highlights: Last weekend was an amazing, full several days. My best friends threw me a lovely shower that lasted most the day. We ate quiche, strawberries and pineapple, cheesecake, drank tea and chatted for hours. Baby Blue received some handsome little outfits, which was fun, but mostly I was just thankful to have my best people around me celebrating and giving thanks. It was really special. After the shower, my mom and I took Sarah on a date to her first ballet, Tea for Ruby. It was so special to watch her absorb every little thing – all wide eyed and excited and nervous. She waltzed away from the show with glitter in her eyes and twinkles in her toes. I couldn’t stop my eyes from filling up with tears as I watched her enjoy herself so much. The next day was Resurrection Day – After playing piano for the two wonderful church services, we hosted dinner at our house for our families and some good friends from church. It is such a special day and I love that we get to play host and hostess each year. This year we simplified a bit and as always, everyone helps!

DSC_6215

Looking Forward: If I were to label this pregnancy with one word it would be this: Privileged! I feel so very, very privileged to have carried this child, to have nourished him and felt him grow, to have been blessed with his health and mine. God has blessed me so much. Looking ahead, I am starting to crave the next step of meeting him and kissing him, snuggling him, sharing him with my two little darlings who cannot wait to meet him. The end is so close. I am sad to be done with this beautiful stage of my life that I never thought I would get to experience, sad to loose this incredible intimacy with my baby’s every move, and yet excited to hold him and see him. Sometime in the next four weeks or so….

No comments:

Post a Comment