Monday, January 21, 2013

Cobbler Cravings: Satisfied

Last night I was hit by a cobbler craving that would not be turned away. I did not feel like baking but I was compelled and I’m so glad I didn’t resist because I discovered the simplest, most delicious berry cobbler recipe ever. Original credit goes back to Ree… you know, as in THE original pioneer WOMAN who does it ALL… but secondary credit goes to me, who does a few things right and this is one of them! This is actually a funny combo of cobbler and coffee cake, but I’m not a stickler for titles as much as taste so here you go. You want to make this. Today. Your husband will thank you… if you choose to save him some.

Berry Cobbler

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 1/4 cups sugar (reserve the extra 1/4 cup)

1 cup flour

1 1/4 tsp. baking powder

1 cup of milk (OR you can do what I did: 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup milk mixed together)

zest and juice from one lemon

2 cups of whatever fresh or frozen berries you have on hand

Preheat your oven to 350* and grease a 3 quart baking dish with butter. I used my spring form pan and it worked beautifully. Melt butter. Wisk together your sugar, flour and baking powder. Stir in milk mixture and then the melted butter. You don’t want to over-mix it. Pour the batter into your baking dish and then sprinkle your berries lavishly over the top. Over that, sift some of your reserved sugar… it makes it SO yummy and lightly crispy on top. Bake for 1 hour, or until golden brown and bubbly. Sprinkle the rest of your reserved sugar over the top when you have about ten minutes of bake time left. Your house will smell divine and there will be no self-control left in your body by the time it cools enough to eat. It will be perfectly golden and lightly crispy and utterly irresistible.

If you need proof of the above statement, here it is… this is all that's left of last night’s impulse bake…

DSC_4759 copy

The best part is that its so easy, I can think of no good reason not to make another one tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment